I mentioned the other day about roasted delicata squash. Sooo delicious!
Delicious Delicata. Say it with me. It’s fun!
1. Get yourself some lovely delicata squash.
2. Wash the outside of the squash. These things grow in the dirt ya know. You don’t want dirt in your bentos.
3. Slice off the stem and blossom ends and cut in half.
4. Remove the seeds. I suppose you could roast these like pumpkin seeds, but they’re kinda little so I never bother.
5. Slice the squash into 1/2 inch (or so) half moons. Meanwhile, turn the oven on to about 350 and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
6. As you slice the rings, arrange them on a cookie sheet. When you are done slicing, spray the tops of the rings with cooking spray and sprinkle them with grill seasoning. I like the 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joes.
7. Stick the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for about 1/2 hour or until the squash is done to your liking. I don’t like mine too mushy, but I like the edges just a bit caramelized.
These fit nicely into bentos and they are good hot or cold. You can eat the rind even. It is soft enough. Most of the time, I just scrape the flesh off with my teeth and toss the rind.